The Emile Project
Build a Historic Site/Museum/Recreational Complex.
Acknowledge the contributions made by outstanding teachers and principles of Emile High School during 77 years of service as an institution.
Promoting good health by connecting communities through history and recreational activities.
Emile High School was a segregated high school for African-American students in Bastrop, Texas. A part of the Bastrop Independent School District, it opened in 1892. The school, named after the book Emile, housed grades 1-12. The lion was the school's mascot.
According to the website of Emile Elementary School, the building was a two-story structure on a 4-acre (1.6 ha) plot of land in an African-American area of Bastrop. The lower grades were in four classrooms on the first floor and the upper grades were in two classrooms on the second floor. In the late 1940s, a new building opened, and it received brick additions about a decade later. Due to racial integration, it closed in 1969, with students going to Bastrop High School. The building was repurposed for grades 4–5; originally it had a new name, but it was reconfigured to be a grade K-5 school by 1988 when it returned to being named "Emile” again.
Emile Facility Design
It is generally agreed that the first black man Bastrop County was named Ge Morgan who was the slave of a sheep herder who lived around Sayersville. Morgan himself settled near Piney Creek and became a local preacher and founder of Paul Quinn A.M.E. Church. Morgan is buried in Fairview Cemetery beside his wife Nellie. Efforts to educate local blacks in Bastrop on a formal basis can be documented in approximately 1865, white and black citizens from “up North” came to teach and amongst them were three black men from Maryland. Warren White, Frank Thorne, and Henry Gilliard who came to settle here. Thorne taught school in the Old Mt. Olive Baptist Church in themed 1870’s. One of the first documented, organized black schools was at Macedonia Baptist Church which itself was organized December 10, 1875, on a Wednesday night in time for prayer meeting night, as local legend has it. Block 25 on Marion and Pine Streets was bought for the building of a six-room school and assembly hall in 1892—the beginnings of the Emile School for blacks.
Emile Facility 3D Rendering
The old building was eventually torn down in 1940 and replaced with a stucco building for elementary and secondary grades with an annex for vocational training, economics and vocational agriculture which was added after consolidations were made with black rural schools throughout the county. In 1949, there were 22 black schools in Bastrop County. The first teacher in the Macedonia Baptist Church school is believed to have been Henry Kerr, a former slave, born May 5, 1855, who received his educational training from his father and his master. The Paul Quinn A.M.E. Church was organized in 1886 and blacks were educated in either the Methodist or Baptist schools until 1891, when the Emile School was built on Southeast Marion Street in Bastrop, the site of the present elementary school. It is believed the school may have been named by a Professor Buchanan from Tennessee who was hired as a principal of the Emile School about 1890.